The first Greek Orthodox Church in Minneapolis was built in 1906, on land which is now the University of Minnesota campus. The site of the original church is now occupied by the Weismann Museum. Within two years, the University had appropriated the land and in 1909, a new church was built on the Lake St. and 10th Ave. The church on Lake St. was demolished in 1955, and in the spring of 1956, the cornerstone was laid for the current site of the church on the eastern shore of Lake Calhoun, at 35th St. and Irving Ave. The first services were held at Easter in the spring of 1957, and the church was consecrated in early May, 1961.